Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rocks and Minerals


In the past, I have found the study of rocks and minerals to be boring, but not after finding "The Story of Salt". It begins with " IT'S THE ONLY ROCK WE EAT, and we need to it it to live. It has shaped ancient civilizations, helped build empires, led to major scientific developments - and it tastes good on French fries. It's salt!" I used portions of this book to build background knowledge. I read aloud a section, then copied that section for students to reread. New sections were then copied and given to students to practice the focus strategy: summarizing. Some sections of the story are a bit 'scientific' or 'busy' but the history and uses of salt are fascinating, capturing each child's imagination. Students are very excited to go home and share with their parents about the 'rock' we humans eat!

11151197.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment